design - Land Rover section

 

The Green Rover gallery

 Pre- Dormobile conversion pictures

Post- Dormobile conversion exterior pictures  |  Dormobile interior pictures  |  Snapshot section | Stories & blogs

The Green Rover is a 1960 Series II 109 that I purchased in 1978 for US$350. She was completely worn out, had a broken rear diff. and a broken transfer case. She had been sitting for about two years when I purchased her. I towed her home with my first Land Rover, a 1969 Series IIA 88 named The Red Rover after the children's game "Red Rover, Red Rover, send TeriAnn right over". The Green Rover was named for her colour and to differentiate between the two Land Rovers. The Green Rover worked a decade and a half for me as a farm Land Rover.  Then I converted The Green Rover into a full on long distance expedition Land Rover and took her on long overland Land Rover travels.

Pictures on this page are from before the 1997 conversion to a Dormobile.  Links to post Dormobile conversion detail pictures are above.  The snapshot pages have pictures of The Green Rover out on the trail as does the stories section.

The first set of pictures below were taken right after I towed The Green Rover home.  She is sitting in my driveway with The Red Rover alongside.  The exposed roll of film was lost for about 4 years before it was found and developed so the pictures are a little fuzzy.

The Green Rover March 1978


The pickup top appeared to have been on The Green Rover since new.   Traded it for a full top during the winter of 1980-81.  Pickups are not the best way to carry hay or livestock during a rainstorm.  These pictures are the only ones I have showing the pick up top and the brush guard. When I bought The Green Rover the rear differential and transfer case were broken.  Since my drive way was on a hill I used a chain connected to a tree to hold her in place while I hade both diffs and the transfercase removed.


The base of the brush guard. had a jerry can mount in front of each wing that stored a 5 gallon can on its back.  I had the winch hook attached to the top of the brush guard during a heavy storm in 1980.  Water shorted the switch turning on the winch.  The winch collapsed the brush guard.  When the hook was stopped by the roller the battery posts melted.  I replaced the battery and cut off the mangled brush guard.

 


Note that the tail lights  have been moved and there are jerry can mounts to the rear cross member.  2 jerry cans can be mounted upright at the rear.


When I got her, The Green Rover had 2 under seat fuel tanks, space to carry 4 jerry cans, a 5 gallon propane tank built in and a 5 gallon custom made steel water tank in each of the two rear tool boxes.


There were holes in the floor where a camper was bolted to the bed behind the cab.


This picture was taken at the Palo Alto All British Field meet around 1985. I had added the diamond plate over the side skirts and The Green Rover was shod in white spokes that Scotty had traded me.  The brush bar was gone but the jerry can mounts still on the front.


Between 1978 and 1992 The Green Rover was a farm vehicle. She was loaded with 7 bales of hay & several bags of feed once a week, frequently loaded to the roof line with manure when cleaning out the barn and the winch was used mostly for stringing fence and occasionally for getting my Ford 631 tractor unstuck. she also carried livestock as needed.  In this picture dairy goats are coming home from the Santa Cruz County fair. Sept 1986.


Used to be The Green Rover often went topless during the summer months. I had just installed an access door in the body next to the built in propane tank. Regulations do not allow for propane tanks to be filled from within the vehicle cabin so I could not have it filled with the top on.  Adding the door  allowed the tank to be filled from outside.  Scotty gave me a 109 toolbox lid to be used as an access door.  Cutting a hole in a perfectly good  109 side was a very traumatic experience for me.  This picture is from around 1988

 

 


1996 Palo Alto All British field meet. I picked up the Dormobile kit right after the Portland all British Field meet the previous weekend and had gotten home about two days before the Palo Alto meet . I had not yet got help to remove the lifting roof. You can just make out one of the tares in the fiber glass roof just above the oval roof window.  By this time I had replaced old damaged front bumper, added my mod to the rear outrigger, added the rear bumpers, converted to dual circuit power brakes, installed the rear Salisbury and the Discovery I steel wheels were brand new with new BFG Mud terrain tyres.  The driver's side under seat tank & filler was installed as was the rear fuel tank.

 


Spring 1997 just a couple months before the Green Rover was painted and the Dormobile kit installed. You can see the Dormobile roof in the background. The second battery system had just been installed, the snorkel had been installed and most of the mechanical upgrades finished. The water tank and inlet had yet to be built and installed.   The rear lights have been returned to their original location but I had not blocked off the old holes yet.  Not long after this picture was taken I unbolted the front clip, took it to the body shop & had the insides painted.  Then the roof came off for the last time and the topless Land Rover went to the body shop for some body work and new paint. After coming back home the repaired Dormobile roof and interior was installed.  The paint was less than 3 weeks old when I took the newly converted Dormobile out at the end of August for her first extended camping trip.

1998 exterior pictures (The first complete set of pictures taken of the Dormobile conversion)

Return to page top

 

If you would like to discuss any of the contents, or just say hi, please feel free to .

 

© 1997, 2001 TeriAnn Wakeman. All rights reserved.  Web site design by Marigold Ltd