This web site focuses on Series Land
Rovers, conversions and modifications to Series Land Rovers,
Land Rover caravans, Series Land Rover expedition preparation
and has Land Rover related photo galleries. There
is some contents relating to Land Rover Defenders, but most
everything is Series Land Rover focused.
As of 17 Nov. the final chapter has been written and sent out for review. The next steps are to gather images, make drawings to illustrate the book, and to start flowing the chapters which are each in their own document into a single book document.
I am in the process of writing a book about extended vehicle overlanding in the United States and Canada. It is tentatively titled "The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in The United States and Canada". This is a how-to book that specifically covers what you need to know while traveling through these two countries as well as choosing vehicles and gear that are available in Canada and the United States. Wherever possible I go into the why-to so that the reader can make an intelligent decision when faced with real life situations.
Throughout the book I emphasize traveling in harmony with nature and leave no trace behind traveling and camping. I firmly believe that we should do not harm as we travel and if anything leave the path behind us a little better than it was before we passed through.
The purpose of this book is not to turn an inexperienced overlanding novice into an expert. Rather it is to provide a solid foundation from which the reader can grow through hands on trail experience and possibly training. Hopefully it will keep someone new to overlanding from making the common rookie mistakes. Especially those that could lead to a life threatening situation without a clue of what to do.
The book is expected to be completed and published in 2016. Here is the draft table of contents.
Travel Related Articles
- Thoughts on choosing a Land Rover model for extended vehicle based expedition style travel
- covers Series, Defenders, Range rover classic, Land Rover Discovery I and II
parts and tools I take on trips
- An inventory of spares and tools I take along on
of The Green Rover's survival kit
- What my car caries, just in case
of my personal survival kit
- What I lug around just in case
to do: Before the trip
- Preparation helps you get home intact
to do: After the trip
- keeping you car in good condition
on the trail (Very early draft book chapter)
- Developing your own style of Land Rover trail cooking
- Trail etiquette (Very early draft book section)
- The art of learning to play well with others
- Water crossings (early draft book seection)
- Preparation, reading the water and afterwards
- Back issues of The Aluminum Workhorse
(Scanned into pdf format)
- The Aluminum Workhorse was the news letter of the now defunct Land Rover Owners Association (LROA). Started in 1984, the LROA was meant to be many things - a local club organizing trips and social events for local members, an umbrella organization for chapters of the club across the US, and a channel for Rover owners to meet and share data about all sorts of subjects of interest.
Part of the organization's value to the members was the club newsletter, called the "Aluminum Workhorse". The AW was the channel which the members used to communicate with the club and each other - sharing tips, tricks, and the thousand and one different pieces of information that can help an owner to live with a car as unique as an old Land-Rover.
Rover Caravans - Dormobile, Carawagon, Park-Ranger, Land-Rover
Explorer and X-PANDA-CAB
- Land Rover based camping conversions manufactured
by Martin Walter Ltd. The Green Rover features
a Dormobile conversion kit rescued from a wrecked
Land Rover Dormobile.
- Land Rover based camping conversion made by R.J.
Searle Ltd. Includes model identification and copies
of sales brochures showing "Standard" model configurations.
- Dormobile and Carawagon comparison PDF FILE
- Magazine article from Motor Caravan Magazine, October 1998 used with kind permission from Link House Publishing
- Land Rover based camping conversion made by Hall
Park Garage Ltd. Includes interior layout
diagrams and caravan feature list.
- American dealer option camper that fit a 109
pickup. Available from North American Land
Rover dealers from April 1965
- Pop up roof conversion with optional interior
furniture made in Colorado, USA.
Early style Land Rover Dormobile wing badge
The following is from a 1966 Dormobile brochure
with minor revisions:
WHEN YOU BUY A DORMOBILE CARAVAN YOU BUY A NEW WAY
Consider these 10 DORMOBILE Freedoms:
- FREEDOM to ignore holiday hotel worries - and bills
- FREEDOM to live comfortably and easily in the open
air, out on the trail
- FREEDOM to decide and then go - straight away -
for a month, a week, a day
- FREEDOM to drive without tiresome towing, preplanned
end of day destinations or even paved roads
- FREEDOM to tour - Moab or The Badlands - and take
your home with you
- FREEDOM to take advantage of those spare moments
- those crisp, clear winter days - when owners of
other 4x4's stay at home
- FREEDOM to eat what you like, when you like and
cooked how you like it
- FREEDOM to sleep - comfortable and secure - at
the end of an exciting day
- FREEDOM to enjoy outdoor interests - fishing, boating,
climbing, photography, walking, beach combing- or
- FREEDOM to relax, in your mobile home, away from
the everyday routine and stress of modern life.
MARTIN WALTER LTD.
A high percentage of the Land Rovers taken around the
world are Dormobiles. On a per model basis I strongly suspect
that Dormobiles are the most traveled model of Land
person who purchased a Land Rover Dormobile from Martin
Walter had travel in mind, often long distances to
exotic locations. I'm
always happy when I see another Land Rover caravan
out on the trail still exploring the world.
Series Land Rover conversions and
engine power specifications
Land Rover gearboxes and Common conversion
- An overview of the gearboxes used
in Land Rovers from series through
and transfer cases commonly
used with engine swaps in Series
- Along with some thoughts on how to choose
- Adapters to connect various 4 and 5 speed gearboxes to a Series transfercase
- Covers Series and coiler Land Rover gearboxes,
popular conversion gear boxes, overdrives
and Ashcroft high ratio transfer case
- 109 rear propshaft
lengths measured at
half extension on the sliding joint: For Rover
diff - 41 13/16" or 1062mm, for Salisbury
diff - 40 1/16" or 1017mm. The
difference between the two shafts is 1.75" or
45mm. A stock Series III 109 rear propshaft
is the Salisbury type since a Salisbury rear
diff was standard fitment on a series III
and modification for leaf sprung Land Rovers
This section presents my personal thoughts and current
understandings on the subject of optimizing leaf
springs and suspension for expedition travel. These
pages are grouped together because each one adds
something different to the subject of Land Rover
leaf spring suspension.
up a leaf spring suspension for expedition
- My thoughts on optimizing a suspension including
making springs work better than new.
Rover weight specifications
- Factory data for empty and Max axle & total
weights for all series III models. Includes a listing
of which model uses which spring.
- Choosing springs that work best with your Land
Rover from the available Land Rover parts
setting your leaf springs free
- The shocking news and what to do about it.
- Some factors involved when lifting a Land Rover
Adding fuel tanks to Series Land
Brake conversions to Series Land
Modification from stock Articles